Tuesday 4 August 2015

Homemade Tomato Pizza Sauce / Base



Due to sheer stubbornness, I have been reluctant to use canned or bottled tomatoes paste/sauce in my cookings, be it pasta sauce or pizza sauce. I may use a little ketchup for color enhancements, but very rarely will you see me using 100% bottled or canned sauce. 

What's better than FRESH? Since I have abundance of harvests from my little herb & vegetable 'garden', I thought it would be appropriate that I make my own bottle of sauce for the homemade pizza (refer to my post on Homemade Hawaiian Pizza) that I am planning for dinner.



Ingredients & Condiments :
  • 5 tomatoes
  • 1 cup of fresh mix herbs (i used sweet basil, english parsley and cilantro) 
  • 3 to 4 cloves of garlic 
  • 1 onion (optional)
  • cooking oil
  • 1/2 tsp grounded pepper
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • a pinch of salt
  • 3 tbsp ketchup/tomato sauce (for color and flavour) 

(tsp = teaspoon; tbsp = tablespoon) 


Method :
Chop tomatoes and bring to boil in water.
Upon boiling, transfer the tomatoes to a bowl of ice water. The tomatoes will quite naturally peel by themselves.
Finely chop the garlic, onions (if any), mixed herbs and get ready to cook the pizza sauce.
Add cooking oil and sauté finely chopped garlic and onions (if any).
Toss in the boiled tomatoes and stir them with a spatula till the tomatoes become puree. Use low heat.
When tomatoes are cooked till puree form, turn in the finely chopped mixed herbs, 1/2 tsp grounded pepper, 1 tsp sugar, a pinch of salt, 3 tbsp ketchup/tomato sauce and stir well. Turn the heat off and allow the sauce to cool before use or storage. 

Remember to sterilize your bottle(s) if you are going to store the sauce in freezer or chiller for future use. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment