Wednesday 12 February 2014

Chinese New Year Cupcakes Special!



I recently enrolled myself in a fondant decorating class. Never had I expected myself to thoroughly enjoy it. In short, meddling with fondant is a reminiscence of "Play-doh" times during our childhood days. 

As the class was held just before Chinese New Year, the instructor decided to bring us through the creation of 4 horse year themed cupcakes that we could bring home.

"Do not attempt to make your own icing or fondant in our tropical heat and humidity! You'll have a hard time.... there are many pre-made brands off the rack..."  

These were the words of wisdom from our instructor at the beginning of the class! I concur! Why make my life difficult? Just focus on creating nice end products!

I had forgotten to use my camera to capture the bare cupcakes before decoration. Hence, I will just share the recipe provided in class : 

Cranberry Butter Cupcakes

Ingredients :
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 5 egg whites (use more yolks than whites if you prefer the cakes to be softer and more moist)
  • 250 gm unsalted butter (soft butter at room temperature)
  • 230 gm self-raising flour (always sieve flour for baking)
  • 180 gm castor sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cranberry flavouring (use Vanilla flavour if you do not have Cranberry)
  • Dried cranberries (optional)

Method :
  1. Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees celsius.
  2. Cream the butter, sugar and flavouring until light and creamy, then set aside.
  3. In another bowl, whisk egg whites in high speed till soft peaks form, then add in egg yolks one at a time. Continue beating for another 3 minutes.
  4. Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium and add in the butter mixture. Beat till well combined.
  5. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in flour and baking powder. Beat till well combined.
  6. Fill cupcake moulds (1/2 full), smooth the surfaces and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.

Decorating :

My tools for fondant decorating. For pre-made fondant, we used the brand 'Bakels'. We were also taught how to get the desired fondant colours using tooth-picks and Wilton Fondant Colours.  
3-D Horse sitting high and mighty on the cupcake
3-D Horse sitting high and mighty on the cupcake
2-D Boy & Girl Doll Faces
3-D Cherry Blossoms
End products with my certificate of completion

Wait!  How do we glue the different parts together?  Well, you can either use water or this simple method of making edible glue :

  • Mix 1/4 tsp tylol with 20ml water 
  • Leave overnight in sealed container
  • Edible glue can be kept for 2 months if not contaminated (therefore, it is more feasible to store your glue in few smaller containers)

After my first attempt, I have come to a realisation that fondant decoration is not totally difficult.  It just require a whole load of patience and persistence. I am now looking forward to creating my Valentine's Day fondant cake!



0 comments:

Post a Comment