Wednesday 22 February 2017

Wasabi and Vinegar Pickled Cucumbers 芥末酸黄瓜片



Cucumbers are refreshing for our tropical weather. I like them raw and love it to bits when I can add a little flavours to make them more interesting. However, in order to enjoy the refreshing feel from this cooling fruit, I personally prefer versions that are not overly seasoned and still remain crunchy. This Wasabi and Vinegar Pickled Cucumbers 芥末酸黄瓜片 recipe is one of the few variations that I like. It is a simple classic that has a dash of wasabi paste added to instil a very subtle heat to the otherwise cooling side dish. Very easy to make and readily available when we need them.



Ingredients (enough for 1 jam sized jar) :
  • 6 baby cucumbers (I personally find baby cucumbers more suitable and crunchy for pickling)
  • 2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar (to taste)
  • 1 tbsp sour plum paste (optional)(I used Lee Kum Kee bottled sour plum paste)
  • 1-2 tsp wasabi paste (to taste)
  • 1-2 tsp sugar (to taste)
  • 3-4 tbsp mirin (to taste)
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (can mix with a little room temperature boiled water)
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • toasted sesame seeds (optional)(to be sprinkled when served)


(tsp = teaspoon; tbsp = tablespoon) 


Method :
  1. Wash and clean surface of cucumber and pat dry. Set aside to further chill dry.
  2. Thinly slice cucumbers.
  3. Combine vinegar, sour plum paste, wasabi, sugar, mirin, lime juice into a bowl and mix well.
  4. In a separate bowl, evenly toss cucumber slices with salt.
  5. Fold in seasoning mixture to cucumber slices and toss well.
  6. Store in sterilised air tight jar and chill in refrigerator. Pickled cucumbers can be served anytime. 
  7. Sprinkle a little toasted sesame before served.










I always find chilled pickles handy when I am rushing for time as they can be served as a presentable and palatable side dish anytime. To me, this Wasabi and Vinegar Pickled Cucumbers 芥末酸黄瓜片 is no exception. Well loved by my family and myself.



0 comments:

Post a Comment