Tuesday 14 February 2017

Rum & Raisins Chocolates 朗姆酒和葡萄干巧克力



Happy Valentine's Day! This is a day that my husband says "No need to celebrate!". What can I say? We have been married for 10 years. Out of which, I have been ill and receiving treatments for 5 years.....and more. I bet any other guy would have packed his bag and leave....or easier to just kick me out!  

This silly man, however, stays true and through his marriage vow. He never gives up on me. Never. So....this Handmade Rum & Raisins Chocolates 朗姆酒和葡萄干巧克力 is for my man, my best friend, my pillar of strength. I know you would scold me if I were to buy you anything as you are such a simple man, a minimalist. Making your favourite chocolates in this masculine but lovely flavour seems just right for you.



Ingredients (yield is dependent on size of your chocolate mould) :

  • 150 gm dark chocolate (this yields me about 4 large pieces of dark chocolates)
  • 150 gm white milk chocolate (this yields me about 4 large pieces of white chocolates)
  • 1/2 cup dried raisins
  • 1/2 cup rum (can use rum essence if you do not have rum)

(tsp = teaspoon; tbsp = tablespoon)    


Methods for Dark or White Chocolates are identical : 
  1. Pre-soak dried raisins in rum overnight or few hours in refrigerator.
  2. Melt dark or white chocolate (one colour at a time) in microwave oven for 1 minute. 
  3. Remove bowl from microwave oven after 1 minute. Stir the chocolates. 
  4. Microwave chocolates again for 30 seconds. 
  5. Remove bowl from microwave oven again. Stir the chocolates. 
  6. Repeat the 30 seconds process until chocolates are all melted. This stirring process is necessary to prevent the chocolates from burning due to prolonged microwaving.
  7. Use a spoon to fold in melted chocolates into mould to about 30% full. 
  8. Use chopsticks to smear melted chocolates to fill up the walls of the mould.
  9. Send mould to set in chiller (not freezer) for about 10-15 minutes.
  10. By then, the melted chocolates should have solidified and set. 
  11. Pour away rum.
  12. Spoon soaked raisins onto chocolate mould.
  13. Use a spoon to fold in more melted chocolates to the brim of the mould.
  14. When all's done, lightly bang chocolate mould tray on the counter surface to remove air bubbles. The surface of the chocolates would be nicely flattened after this process.
  15. Set in chiller (not freezer) again for another 30 minutes. 
  16. Remove chocolates from mould and store in air tight containers. 


Tip 1 : Do NOT set and store in freezer. The chocolates will 'sweat' like crazy due to condensation (as a result of extreme difference in temperatures). This would damage the look and taste of your chocolates. I attempted storage in freezer, chiller and room temperature. In our climate, chiller is the winner.

Tip 2 : Suggest to use small size moulds to make small bite sizes as this is very rich. For my kind of mould size, we have to cut into few small bites for easy consumption.



(scroll to bottom of page, click on "Print" or "PDF" icon for printer friendly recipe)














Valentine's Day celebration does not have to be elaborated and expensive. At least for my husband and myself, it is the simple thoughts that count.  Make this Handmade Rum & Raisins Chocolates 朗姆酒和葡萄干巧克力 for your other half.  Easy to make but hearty to enjoy.








3 comments:

  1. Splendid!thank you for sharing. If I don't have rum or rum essence, any other recommended replacement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for liking :) I guess you can soak in any liquor that you may have or like :)

      Delete
  2. Acknowledged with many thanks ��

    ReplyDelete