Thursday 27 August 2015

Grilled Salmon Pizza with Crispy Sambal Shrimps



My Arugula Rocket gave me its first harvest after I sowed the seeds 5 weeks ago. I was excited with my labour of love. I was not expecting good harvest as it was my first attempt to grow vegetables in my small organic herbs terrace. I was wrong! 

I thought the peppery flavour from the arugula leaves would marry well with the piece of salmon that I was thawing in the refrigerator and Grilled Salmon Pizza seemed like a good idea.

Most online recipes use smoked salmon for pizzas. I had no intention to follow suit. My recipe would minimise the usual 'fishy' smell from cooked salmon, thereby, making the pizza absolutely delicious.



Ingredients & Condiments :
  • 1 pc of 12-inch pizza crust (available in supermarkets)
  • 1 cup of arugula rocket leaves 
  • 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup of salmon (about 300 gm)(sliced to thin pieces)(pre-marinated with few drops of sesame oil and 1/2 tsp teriyaki sauce)
  • 1 large onion (sliced to rings)
  • 2-3 small peppers (optional)(sliced to thin pieces)
  • 1 cup of pizza sauce (mix 4 tbsp sour cream with 2 stalks of finely chopped parsley well)
  • 1 tbsp crispy sambal shrimps (available in supermarkets)

(tsp = teaspoon; tbsp = tablespoon) 


The same crispy sambal shrimp that I used for my seafood paella.

Method :

Grease 12 inch pizza pan and pre-heat oven at 180 degrees celsius (for 15 minutes). I still feel that it is nicer to bake the pizza directly on the oven rack (without a pan) as it gives us a crispier crust, but the thought of cleaning the oven rack.....duh...
Spread pizza sauce on crust. Do not spread to the brim. Leave an edge.
As I was already using sour cream as base, mozzarella cheese was added sparingly to avoid the pizza being too rich, too oily. I only added shredded mozzarella cheese at the centre for flavouring purpose.
This is the essential part. Onions must be added to complement the salmon. This would bring down the 'fishy' smell of the salmon quite significantly. In this instance, I added a little sliced peppers too.
Arrange salmon pieces on top of the onions.
Sprinkle crispy sambal shrimps on the salmon pieces and pizza is ready for oven.
Bake pizza in oven at 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, increase heat to 200 degrees celsius and bake for another 5 minutes. At these temperatures, the salmon would still retain its moisture whilst the cheese would be slightly burnt when the pizza is removed fro the oven.
Remove hot pizza from oven.
Top with arugula rocket leaves and the pizza is good to be served.
If you prefer it to be more spicy, just sprinkle more crispy sambal shrimps (or chilli flakes) on your pizza before eating.
Absolutely delicious...you can savour the freshness of all ingredients.


0 comments:

Post a Comment