Friday 9 June 2017

Marmite Gyudon (Beef Bowl) 妈蜜牛丼飯



*In collaboration with Marmite.

I happily bought some nice ribeye steaks. To my disappointment, my family members said that they had enough of Western cuisine in the past few weeks and requested for me to "do something about the steaks". Hey! That's not my intention with the steaks! I'd make the call! I thought the next best option would be making them into Gyudon which everyone in the family enjoys! This time, I'm spooning in a little healthy Marmite to make it into a Marmite Gyudon (Beef Bowl) 妈蜜牛丼飯 - giving the traditional beef bowl a little of my flavourful tweak. 

Despite the many health benefits, the unique umami taste in Marmite is really a love or hate relationship for most people. There's also a misconception that Marmite is only meant for children. I have no children at home. I do have 4 adults in my household. Out of which, 2 very old folks. It does not mean that Marmite is not beneficial to us! I remain hopeful of anything that may help my aged parents maintain their quality of life as they age.  Moreover, how difficult can it be to incorporate Marmite into my daily home cooked food? This Marmite Gyudon (Beef Bowl) 妈蜜牛丼飯 is just another evidence of what can be easily done! 


Ingredients (enough for 4 pax) :
  • 4 pcs ribeye steak (about 1 cm thickness each)(pre-seasoned with a little salt & pepper)
  • 2 cups Japanese short grained rice (washed and pre-soaked for 30 minutes)
  • pieces shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
  • 2 sprigs rosemary
  • 1 tbsp Marmite (or to taste)
  • 1/2 pc beef stock cube
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup mirin
  • 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
  • 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
  • 2 tbsp tobiko 
  • 1 stalk coriander (finely chopped)
  • 1 stalk spring onions (chopped)
  • water (subject to pan/pot size)
  • cooking oil / butter

(tsp = teaspoon; tbsp = tablespoon) 

Method :
  1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in cooking pan at medium heat.
  2. Toss in onions and garlic and stir fry till aromatic.
  3. Add mushrooms and stir fry.
  4. Add Japanese short rice grains and all seasonings. Lightly stir fry.
  5. Fold in mirin and water. Ensure water level is about 2 cm above rice grains and that all ingredients are submerged.
  6. Place rosemary atop and cover lid.
  7. Allow to simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes or till rice fully cooked at low-medium heat. 
  8. Discard rosemary.
  9. Heat butter or cooking oil in grill pan at medium-high heat.
  10. Sear steaks on both sides in grill pan to your preferred doneness.
  11. Cut steaks into slices and arrange atop rice. 
  12. Garnish with coriander, spring onions and tobiko before serve.
  13. Serve whilst hot.

(scroll to bottom of page, click on "Print" or "PDF" icon for printer friendly recipe)








0 comments:

Post a Comment